Hoa Lo Prison Historical Relic is located at No.1 Hoa Lo Street, Tran Hung Dao Ward, Hoan Kiem District, Hanoi City, about 1.5km Southwest of the central Hoan Kiem Lake. It is a typical historical relic of the capital city and has been classified as a national relic by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism. It is also an interesting tourist, research and learning destination for domestic and international tourists.
Hoa Lo Prison was built by the French colonialists in 1986 to hold thousands of Vietnamese patriotic and revolutionary fighters. Since the restoration of peace and liberation of North Vietnam on October 10, 1954, the Vietnamese State has used Hoa Lo Prison for criminals. From August 5, 1964 to March 29, 1973 part of the prison was used for captured American pilots who were shot down in North Vietnam.
In 1993, to meet the development requirements of Hanoi Capital City, the Vietnamese Government decided to demolish part of Hoa Lo Prison for the construction